NBC is commited to:
– protecting your privacy and taking good care of your personal information
– never selling or leasing your personal information
– only sharing your personal data with individuals or organisations with whom we work
– responding promptly to any questions you have concerning how we hold your personal data
This Privacy & Cookies policy sets out how the Neotropical Bird Club (“NBC”) complies with UK data protection legal requirements in relation to your personal data. You can access this policy from the bottom of every page by clicking on the appropriate link.
It applies not only to visitors to NBC’s website but also if you are
- a member, donor, volunteer, customer or regional representative of NBC;
- a trustee of, or consultant to, NBC;
- an applicant for a conservation award or other grant;
- a user of any of our services (including purchaser of merchandise);
- making an enquiry in relation to membership, services, donations, awards or grants; or
- emailing, calling or writing to NBC.
While you can use many functions of NBC’s website without disclosing any personal information you will reveal personal data if you, for example, complete an online membership application form. Similarly, you will disclose personal data if you write to NBC, for example, in order to purchase a journal, make a Gift Aid donation or seek a conservation award. Also, you may reveal personal data in consequence of taking part in NBC activities.
This policy explains how and why NBC uses any information which:
– identifies you, or which can be identified as relating to you personally (called personal data); and
– is collected either from you or a third party.
Examples of such personal data include, name, postal or email address, user ID, password, bank account details & telephone number.
Accordingly, you will find below information on the following topics:
- About NBC & how to contact us
- What information NBC collects about you (your data)
- How NBC uses information about you (your data)
- Disclosing and sharing your data
- Protecting your data
- Storing your data
- Accessing & amending your data
- Your legal rights
- Links to other websites & your privacy
- Changes to this policy
2. ABOUT NBC & HOW TO CONTACT US
The Neotropical Bird Club (referred for short as “NBC” or “we” or “us” in this policy) is a UK registered charity (charity no. 1040130). We promote the study and conservation of Neotropical birds.
If you have any questions about this policy or the personal data we hold about you please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Neotropical Bird Club, c/o The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire,SG19 2DL, United Kingdom.
For the purposes of data protection law, NBC is regarded as a “data controller”.
3. WHAT INFORMATION NBC COLLECTS ABOUT YOU (YOUR DATA)
(A) Personal data provided by you
We collect personal data you provide to us (both electronically and in paper format).
This is likely to happen when you:
- apply to be a member (for yourself or another);
- place an order for products;
- make a donation;
- offer to be a volunteer (including trustee, regional representative, adviser or Birdfair representative);
- submit an article for Cotinga or Neotropical Birding;
- register your interest in an activity of NBC (such as, a fundraising trip);
- provide feedback;
- participate in competitions (such as, a raffle);
- complete a register of attendance at a NBC meeting or event;
- apply for a conservation grant or award;
- send an enquiry to NBC (including to its officers and editors); and
- using NBC’s website may result in cookies capturing technical information.
The personal data collected in this way may include:
- personal details (name, age, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number, user ID, password etc);
- financial information (payment information such as, credit/debit card or direct debit details, bank account details etc and fiscal information such as, whether your donations can be gift-aided);
- professional information (experience in research work, organisations you have worked with or for);
- how you would like to hear from us;
- details of your membership, purchases and volunteering activities; and
- details of your interests and preferences (such as, the Neotropical countries you would like to visit or what interests you most about bird species or sites etc).
(B) Information from third parties
NBC occasionally receives personal data from third parties. This is mostly likely to be where:
- you provide your information to another organisation involved in financing or conducting conservation projects in the Neotropics; or
- where you have posted to one of NBC’s social media pages or one linked to NBC’s.
(C) Sensitive personal data
It is very unlikely that we will receive what is known in data protection law as “sensitive personal data”. This is mostly information relating to health, beliefs or political affiliation. However, if this does happen, NBC will take extra care to ensure your privacy rights are protected.
(D) Special cases: trustees & volunteers
If you are a trustee or volunteer then NBC may collect extra information about you (e.g. references, criminal records checks, details of emergency contacts, medical conditions etc.). This information will be retained for legal or contractual reasons, to protect NBC (including in the event of an insurance or legal claim) and for safeguarding purposes.
(E) Special cases: donations
In certain circumstances NBC is required by the Charity Commission to check the source of donations and any conditions attached to them. This might require NBC to research the financial soundness, credibility, reputation and ethical principles of a donor or prospective donor.
NBC may from time to time conduct membership surveys. If so, you will not be under any obligation to participate and at the time will be informed about what is to be done with any personal data collected and when it will be destroyed.
4. HOW NBC USES INFORMATION ABOUT YOU (YOUR DATA)
NBC will only use your personal data:
- to enter into or perform a contract with you;
- comply with a legal duty;
- protect NBC’s vital interests;
- for NBC’s own (or a third party’s) lawful interests; or
- where you have consented.
In any event, NBC only uses your personal data for the purpose or purposes it was collected for (or else for closely related purposes). Accordingly, NBC uses your personal data for:
- administration of your membership (including assessing an application for membership, internal record keeping & renewal notices);
- notice of NBC’s annual general meeting (“AGM”);
- administering and managing your account (including updating your account);
- administration of donations and legacies (including recording the nature and amount of your donation, claiming Gift Aid, sending you a thank you letter and getting in touch should there ever be any issues when processing your donation);
- administration of conservation grants & awards;
- despatch of membership benefits (including journals-which may contain third-party advertisements, information on NBC’s activities, volunteering opportunities, fundraising activities and its merchandise);
- fulfilment of orders for goods and services ordered (“NBC merchandise”);
- debt recovery;
- responding to enquires (including applications for grants or awards and submission of articles for NBC’s journals);
- advising you of fundraising trips if you have completed a register of interest at a meeting of NBC or at an event at which NBC is exhibiting (for example, the annual British Birdwatching Fair at Rutland Water);
- communications about NBC’s announcements (for example, changes in services provided and conservation work) and events (for example, non-AGM meetings) – but see Keeping in touch with NBC below;
- fundraising (including raffle tickets & fundraising trips) and volunteering opportunities – but see Keeping in touch with NBC below;
- developments in your country or region – but see Keeping in touch with NBC below;
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in an effective manner for you and your computer;
- desktop research related to fundraising solely for our charitable purposes;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features on our website;
- aggregating membership information and statistical analysis related to advertising (but none of this usage involves automated profiling or will identify any individual);
- to protect the rights, property and safety of NBC, its members, visitors or others; and
- managing, accounting for and auditing NBC’s operations.
NBC may also use your personal data in order to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, requirements, recommended best practice and guidance (for example, from the Charity Commission).
Keeping in touch with NBC
NBC does not use your personal data to market the goods or services of third parties (although its journals may contain such advertisements).
However, NBC would like from time to time to provide you (through email and post) with information about:
- NBC’s announcements (news & events);
- NBC’s fundraising activities (including raffle tickets & fundraising trips or leaving a gift in your will);
- NBC’s volunteering opportunities; and
- developments in your country or region.
We call these “external communications”. This does not include essential communications required to fulfil NBC’s obligations to you as a member (such as, NBC journals and notice of AGMs) or as a purchaser of NBC merchandise or membership (such as, sending transaction notifications or renewal notices).
It is NBC policy that we will not provide you with external communications unless you “opt-in”. You may also choose whether to receive external communications by email or post or both. A link can be found on NBC’s website to opt-in.
You can, at any time, decide not to receive external communications or change how these are provided by emailing email@example.com or writing to Neotropical Bird Club, c/o The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire,SG19 2DL, United Kingdom.
As we have explained external communications do not include NBC’s journals. You may if you wish decide not to receive any NBC journals by emailing or writing as described in the previous paragraph. Please note that if you choose to do this you may not hear about (amongst other things) NBC’s meetings, volunteering activities and conservation activities.
5. DISCLOSING AND SHARING YOUR DATA
NBC will not sell or lease your personal data to any third party.
NBC will disclose or share your personal data with others as follows:
- members of NBC’s Council (who are elected by members of NBC at an annual general meeting and are trustees in law & accordingly bound by duties of confidentiality) but only in so far as related to NBC’s activities;
- members of sub-committees of NBC’s Council (including the conservation awards sub-committee) but only so far as necessary for the performance of responsibilities delegated by NBC’s Council (for example, consideration of an application for a conservation grant);
- regional representatives of NBC (who are elected by members of NBC at an annual general meeting) but only in respect of members located in the representative’s region, or applicants for or recipients of conservation grants or awards related to their region or enquires related to their region;
- employees of NBC;
- agents of NBC (but only in order to carry out tasks on behalf of NBC where NBC is the principal);
- professional or other advisers to NBC;
- the independent examiner of NBC but only in respect of his or her duties as examiner;
- subcontractors to NBC (primarily those carrying out administrative tasks on behalf of NBC, suppliers of or delivery organisations of NBC goods or services you purchase, or payment service providers);
- organisations with which NBC holds a joint meeting but only in so far as required to ensure you have access to that meeting or you complete a register of attendance; and
- where NBC is legally required to do so (such as HMRC), or as a result of a lawful request.
When NBC allows access to your personal data this will be on the basis that NBC controls what they see, what they are allowed to do with it and how long they can see it.
Please note that if you attend an Annual General Meeting of NBC (“AGM”), NBC will retain a record of your attendance and of any resolution you propose or second but only for the purpose of complying with its legal or regulatory obligations as a registered charity. This record of your name may appear in NBC’s journal and documents required to be displayed at AGMs or sent to the Charity Commission.
Please also note NBC may disclose your personal data to third parties as follows:
- if NBC is under a legal duty to disclose or share your personal data;
to protect the rights, property, or safety of NBC, its trustees, members, donors, volunteers and other supporters.
6. PROTECTING YOUR DATA
NBC takes very seriously the need to protect your personal data. We take such action as is reasonable and necessary to prevent unauthorised access to, or disclosure of, such data.
For example, the shopping cart service that NBC uses for membership signups and publication sales implements encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card information.
However, NBC cannot guarantee the security of your home computer or the internet, and any online communications (e.g. information provided by email or our website) are at the user’s own risk (see also Warnings below).
CCTV & Recordings etc at NBC meetings
It is possible that if you attend a meeting of NBC the operator of those premise will use CCTV and so you may be recorded when you visit them. If so, NBC will insist that the CCTV is only:
- there to help provide security and to protect both you and others attending;
- CCTV will only be viewed when necessary (e.g. to detect or prevent crime); and
- footage is only stored temporarily.
It is also possible that NBC may choose to video one of its meetings in order to cast this on its website. If you are a speaker or member of a panel you may be recorded but NBC will seek your consent. Likewise, if a photo is taken for posting to NBC’s website or use in a NBC journal. Similarly, if you are videoed or photographed winning a prize or being made a conservation grant or award.
If you have a password to allow access to certain parts of our website, you must keep the password safe and not share it with anyone or your personal information could be at risk.
Data that is transmitted via the internet or in email cannot be 100% secure. You should bear this in mind when deciding what information, you wish to share with NBC.
7. STORING YOUR DATA
Where we store information
NBC currently stores all personal data in the United Kingdom. Some personal data may be transferred out of the United Kingdom (& European Union) by email but this is only likely to be where strictly necessary in relation to applications for or awards of conservation grants (or awards) or enquires to be dealt with by NBC’s regional representatives or renewal of membership for nationals whose address is outside the United Kingdom (or European Union).
Some organisations which provide services to NBC may transfer personal data outside of the EEA, but we’ll only allow them to do so if your data is adequately protected.
How long we store information
NBC will only use and store information for so long as it is required for the purposes for which it was collected. How long information will be stored for depends on the information in question and what it is being used for. We continually review what information we hold and delete what is no longer required.
In determining how long to hold personal data we have regard to:
- our reasonable organisational needs (such as, managing our members’ database);
- the statute of limitation in relation to legal claims; and
- retention periods in line with regulatory requirements or guidance (such as, the period to retain raffle ticket stubs).
NBC never stores payment card information.
If NBC disposes of your personal data it will do so securely so far as reasonably practicable.
8. ACCESSING & AMENDING YOUR DATA
What to do if your personal information changes
You should tell us without delay if there is any change in the personal data you have supplied to us (especially, name or address) so that we can update our records.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Neotropical Bird Club, c/o The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire,SG19 2DL, United Kingdom.
Access to your data
You have the right to request a copy of the information that NBC holds about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please email email@example.com or write to Neotropical Bird Club, c/o The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire,SG19 2DL, United Kingdom.
You may be asked to provide the following details:
- the personal information you want to access; and
- the date range of the information you wish to access.
In addition, NBC may need you to provide information that will help NBC confirm your identity.
Amending your data
If you have already supplied NBC with personal information, you can amend or update this at any time by emailing or writing to NBC at the above address.
If you have an account with us, you can log on to your account (using your user ID and password) and amend or update information recorded there.
If you believe that any information NBC holds on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email or write to NBC at the above address.
NBC will correct any information which is found to be incorrect promptly.
If you have an account with us, you can log on to your account (using your user ID and password) and correct any information inaccurately recorded there.
9. YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
You may find information about your UK data protection legal rights on the current website of the UK’s Information Commissioner: www.ico.org.uk
NBC considers it is important that you should be aware of those rights. Broadly speaking they are:
- the right to confirmation as to whether or not NBC has your personal data and, if so, to obtain a copy of the personal information held (please see 8 above);
- the right to have your data erased (though this will not apply where it is necessary for NBC to continue to use the data for a lawful reason);
- the right to have inaccurate data rectified;
- the right to object to your data being used for marketing or profiling; and
- where technically feasible, you have the right to personal data you have provided to NBC which NBC processes automatically on the basis of your consent or the performance of a contract. This information will be provided in a common electronic format.
Please note the above is a brief summary and there may well be exceptions to the rights described.
If you wish to complain about the way in which NBC collects, uses, discloses, holds, protects, stores or otherwise deals with your personal data please email or write to NBC as described in section 8 above. NBC undertakes to respond to your complaint as soon as reasonably practical for it. Please remember NBC is a charity run mainly by non-paid volunteers.
If you are dissatisfied with NBC’s response you can complain to the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office.
Details can be found at:
-or you can telephone: 0303 123 1113;
or write to:
Information Commissioner’s Office
10. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES & YOUR PRIVACY
NBC’s website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites. NBC does not have any control over such other websites. Therefore, NBC cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such websites. You should exercise caution and look at any privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Our cookies assist us in:
- remembering your settings during and between visits; and
- improving the speed & security of the website.
- collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission); or
to pass personally identifiable data to third parties.
12. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
NBC may amend this policy from time to time by notice. For example, this may be done to take account of changes in the law, or the way NBC uses your data. The current version will be posted to NBC’s website.
Notice of any amendment or replacement of NBC’s Privacy & Cookies Policy will be posted to NBC’s website and will be deemed effective on publication.
If you continue to use NBC’s website once a policy has been replaced or amended this will constitute your acceptance of the policy as replaced, or as the case may be, amended.
This Privacy & Cookies Policy was last updated on 05 April 2018